Shu! This is a heavy topic in a heavy climate, and I remind myself to not rush in where angels fear to tread, especially not while all the facts are actually still just speculation, given that the trial is some time off. Firstly, save a thought for one of Taliep's daughters who is a first year student at UWC. She admitted on tv one night that she's in for a tough and painful time during the unravelling of the details of this incident and its context before and during the up-coming trail.
Some thought provoking and important issues are highlighted by Ibn Achmat and some interesting questions are posed by Saskia and some answers posited... I guess for now we'll jol in the realm of speculation... it's all good!
Some basic initial considerations that arise for me, though, include:
- it remains despicable to kill (whether by villian or state)?
- hell hath no fury like a woman scorned?
- greed (for sex, money, power...) favours no gender, sex, race or creed?
- lipo suction is reserved for the rich and famous, and flabby?
- what grip and spin could the media put on the story to squeeze out some sensationalism and not miss a chance for mischief, given the various religious symbols in the equation,
- aren't we emotionally just so unhealthy and in denial, most if not all of us, in this post-apartheid madhouse built on negotiated foundations frought with structural inefficiencies...?
- we're a nation of gossipers and we do it very well?
No bail... 24HR observation... buckle up, it's gonna be a long bumpy ride...